Join us for Episode 38 of the Sports Philanthropy Podcast as Dayna Rosen, Executive Director of Chicago Run sits down with our host Roy Kessel to talk about the impressive programs she is creating for Chicago Run.
Founded in late 2007, Chicago Run provides over 18,000 children and youth with high-quality enriching physical activity programs. Chicago Run’s goal is to provide fun and engaging fitness programs regardless of age, gender, neighborhood, or athletic ability. Over the past 10 years, Chicago Run’s programs have expanded to serve the whole continuum of childhood from early childhood through teenagers, while staying true to the goals of improving health and wellness, focusing on Sports-Based Youth Development, bridging cultural and racial divides, and encouraging a lifetime of healthy habits.
The mission of Chicago Run is to promote the health and wellness of Chicago children through innovative, engaging, and sustainable youth running programs.
The vision of Chicago Run is to enhance the health and well-being of every child in Chicago through running.
Chicago Run implements free physical activity programs in 60 sites (majority of which are Chicago Public Schools), serving over 18,000 students. 85% of our participants are from low income households. Chicago Run serves students in 36 diverse communities across Chicago representing the following populations:
22% Diverse Learners
LISTEN TO DANYA’S PODCAST HERE OR WHEREVER YOU FOLLOW YOUR PODCASTS
HIGHLIGHTS FROM DANYA’S PODCAST
- 00:30 Background
- 01:00 Education in advocacy and desire to make a social impact
- 04:15 What drew her to Chicago Run
- 05:15 Why are sports important in her life
- 06″00 History of Chicago Run
- 08:00 Importance of physical literacy
- 09:30 Juvenile Detention Center programs
- 12:00 What elements are built into the program
- 13:00 Working with Chicago Pubic Schools
- 14:10 Piloting program for adaptive running
- 15:15 Barriers and Challenges
- 18:00 Partnerships with NIKE
- 20:30 Types of Volunteers Needed
- 22:30 Site Coordinators and their responsibilities
- 25:00 Expansion of program to high schools
- 26:30 Importance of gender accessibility
- 30:00 Why she values listening to young people
- 33:00 Danya as Commissioner of the WNBA
For more information about Chicago Run, check out their website at www.ChicagoRun.org.